Monday, June 1, 2009

D Panyol Place

Wow dust of this page cuz I finally sat down to write. No one would believe that I visited this place in February and now bloggin bout it, but such is life i guess. The economic down turn was taking a toll on the journey! But we manage to get out there ever so often! Unfortunately I'm stickin to old favorites so hence not much to write about. However I got out the new Ins and Outs 2009 and happened upon Taryn's "The Panyol Place" on Mucurapo Rd. which boasts authentic Venezuelan cuisine in a cozy atmosphere. So when I was on the road and had the opportunity to stop for a quick lunch I gladly parked and tried their hand.

As I walked in I should have know better since it looked like a Spanish mini mart with snacks, groceries and what not. After walking down to the back I found the "restaurant" area which was very simple and homely. No menu, no menu board just a bain marie with a little shredded chicken,beef, black beans and Empanadas. I inquired about any other menu items and decided on a Pork Arepa (pork was in the back). While I waited I took a look in their drink chillers and for such a humble place they had quite a variety of foreign beers and specialty foods, even individual Tiramisu cups.

I got my Arepa and a piece of home made Carrot Cake, paid and left with lunch in hand. For $38.00 my bag felt real light but so are the times. Sadly I did not enjoy my Arepa.The pork was fried, chewy and tough cubes with lots of fat and the arepa was oily to no end. At the very least the cake was above board. So bad food in a shabby setting...... boo who!

I'm not sure if Taryn's was a shop turned restaurant or restaurant 1st and hard times hit so they converted into a pseudo mini mart but either way they should stick to one or the other cuz it looks like they are stretched thin and it's affecting the quality of their food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey... I was searching high and low for Taryn's number and happened upon your blog. I am so sorry that you didn't enjoy your lunch there because every single time I'm in Trinidad one of my first stops is to her shop! When I saw you'd written a review I was so sure you'd have said you loved it.

A little history on Taryn's... Taryn's has always been more or less exactly what it is now, a Venezuelan specialty shop. She's always had all of the delicious ingredients that pull together to make Venezuelan cuisine, the random yummy snacks that you can buy everywhere in Venezuela (Ovamaltina! Sabroso!) and she's always made some of Venezuela's most standard home fare.

I was surprised last year when I went to stock up on harina pan and Venezuelan Toddy (not the Brasilian version you can get in Hilo) and I was so happy to see that her business had expanded to a little counter in the back selling amazing things like arepas con carne mechada and empanadas you could drench guasacaca sauce. I suspect what you had was the pork mechada and thats not fried actually. Its a really delicious way of cooking meat and either some one else was cooking that day, or she's should her shop to a terrible cook because usually her food is amazing! Also, did you order an arepa and get a round corn meal cake (best comparison I can think of right now) with the filling put in when its been opened? Or did you get what we Trinis call arepas that are actually empanadas? I've been in there when someone has ordered an arepa and gotten the correct and traditional arepa when the were expecting some more like the empanada.

Sorry this is so long but I really do want to do Taryn some justice. I think her shop is worth your trying it a second time... and if you don't like it again, I'll pay for your meal. I really love food and I really love that store and I care that much about anyone's experience.

Try the empanada with carne mechada... the meat will be beef... ask them for some guasacaca and eat it there. For every bite you take squirt in some more sauce (very standard Venezuelan pratice that took me by surprise the first time I saw it) before you bite again. And if you happen to go around Christmas time, treat your self to some pan de jamon... its incredible... basically its dough thats been rolled up with ham and olives and garlic and all things yummy and then backed in a long loaf.

Again, sorry for all the blabage... it just that I was so happy to finally find her on the internet so I could call in my order (lost my old phone with her number on it and can't find her in the yellow pages online) but I wasn't expecting your review. I hope you try her again, and I hope you enjoy!

Carla Franco,

displaced Trini in Bim

Anonymous said...

Whoa spelling mistakes! Was writing that in a rush!

Carla